Friday, January 3, 2014

Belong to the Day

Since the day after Christmas, I've been in 1 Thessalonians.
A manuel for ministry, if there ever was one.
This morning, 1 Thessalonians 5 called out one word: light.

We're to be sons and daughter of light, characterized by light,
full of hope, full of self-control.
We belong to the day.
As I look out my windows at the first snowfall of the winter and secretly wish, on this last Friday of Christmas break, that it had fallen next week when we go back to school, I realize that I need to be light.
Though I'd love to stay cocooned in my house, there is darkness where, for this season, I am called to be light,
to belong to the day.

In 1 Thessalonians, it's striking how often Paul says, "Follow our example.  Do as we did to you," and I wonder, really, if I can ever in good conscience tell someone to do as I do, to be as I am.
I want to be characterized by light, living the hope I believe.
Belong to the day.
Following,
Ginger



No comments:

Post a Comment