Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mini Makeovers

This will be quick; we’ve got company coming! 

In the midst of my super-unproductive summer, I have managed to finish a few mini-makeovers.

I’ve seen about 40 gazillion of these around in Blogland, so I decided to make 40 gazillionth + one, by transforming this homely little cheese dome

DSC03011

into this:

DSC03189

The Rustoleum paint I used came out waaaayyy more purple-toned than I wanted ( I was going for barn red), so this got a rubdown with ebony stain.  Better.

The sweet green glass on this lamp caught my eye—and so did the $1.00 price tag!  I didn’t love its original  brass accents, so out came the weapon of all bloggy crafters: Heirloom White spray paint.  The shade wasn’t a thrifty find, but the $8 total tag for a cutey addition to my desk still wins in my book.

DSC03191

Finally, an old whiteboard in our mudroom-command-central needed a little freshening up.  I used not-thrifty magnetic primer and topped it with my never-ending can of blackboard paint.

DSC03190

Verdict: Much better, though I wish the magnetism were stronger.  The directions say three thin coats; I’d do at least 4 if I were to do it over. Which I’m not.  Yet.

Meanwhile, I have a lot of magnetic primer left over.  What should I do with it?  Magnetize the inside of some kitchen cabinets?  A magnetic clipboard?  How about a coat on my forehead, so I can keep up with my to-do list?  Ideas?

Happy Thrifting! Be blessed!

Ginger

 

Linking up at Transformation Thursday , Thrifty Thursday

5 comments:

  1. I love them all, especially the cheese dome! As for the magnetic paint... no ideas! I'm addicted to chalkboard paint though - nothing is safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!! I had no idea that there was magnetic paint. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! You do some great work. I enjoy seeing your craftiness. :)

    ReplyDelete