Thursday, October 15, 2009

Perspective

Our Sunday School class has been working our way through A Woman's Heart, God's Dwelling Place, Beth Moore's study on the tabernacle. It's one of my top two, y'all. My all-time favorite is Patriarchs, but this one is the closest of close seconds.

This morning I read this:
"Sacrifice and offering You did not desire,but a body You prepared for me; with burnt offerings and sin offerings You were not pleased. Then I said, Here I am--it is written about me in the scroll--I have come to do Your will, O God. " Hebrews 10:5-7

...Can you imagine the excruciating transformation of going from having absolutely no limitations to being imprisoned inside about 170 pounds of human flesh? How many times do you suppose He would have liked to burst out of that tent and to unleash His awesome power? We have nothing to compare to the confinement of omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent God in the flesh."

Oh, my. No, I cannot imagine.

How much time do I spend puffing myself up, trying to make my life seem bigger, more significant....while the Creator of the Universe, Who can speak things into existence, zippered the fullness of the Godhead into the oh-so-inconceivably-much-smaller body of an ordinary man?

A body prepared by God the Father.

On purpose.

Before the foundation of the world.

Just to tabernacle here, so that one day you and I will be with Him there.

In the video Indescribable, Louie Giglio quotes an astronomer who was astonished at a photo of Earth taken from millions of light-years away. This scientist notes, "Every life that has ever been lived happened on a dust mote caught in a sunbeam."

We are smaller than Horton's Who.

He is bigger than anything my mind can conceive, because we have nothing to compare to the confinement of omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent God in the flesh.

Some days I take myself too seriously. I need to know that I don't just feel small, I am small.

That's why Paul was able to call his suffering a "momentary light affliction." He remembered the size of his God. Then he got a view of life's troubles that was like looking through binoculars backward; things that were looming large were shrunk down.

He got perspective. I need some, too.

Be blessed!
Ginger



No comments:

Post a Comment