Monday, October 26, 2009

Bibliophiles Unite!


After posting a few of my favorite books the other day, I started thinking how it appears that my reading material is about as fluffy as cool whip. On that particular day, I had no thoughts deeper than a teacup. At any other time, however, it is impossible for me to name all the books I've enjoyed. The list just keeps growing. Being in the library is like Templeton the Rat going to the fair; it's a veritable smorgasbord of delights. Contrary to what the content of my first book list would suggest, I do read meaningful books on occasion. ;-) (Though I love a good laugh, meaningful or not.) So without further ado, I bring you my incomplete list of "deep water" books:

1) The Holy Wild by Mark Buchanan: This book is an insightful, elegantly written study of the character of God and,specifically, His trustworthiness in each of those traits. I've read so many portions to my Sunday School class that half of them can quote it with me. His treatment of the Good Samaritan will change how you read that parable forever; once Buchanan points out the grammatical problem with the common interpretation, his perspective seems so obvious that it seems amazing that I'd never caught it before. Are you intrigued? You should be.

2)The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges: Ouch. Convicting and challenging.

3) Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper: Piper's a South Carolina native, albeit from the city, so I hope he wouldn't be offended by my country-girl compliment: this book needs to be chewed like a cow nursing a cud. (Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Anyone?) Read this book and think about it. Not to be taken lightly.

4) Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Deibler Rose: The best Christian biography I bet you haven't read.

5) A Woman's Heart, God's Dwelling Place, The Patriarchs, and Jesus the One and Only ...and anything else by Beth Moore. 'Nuff said.

6) Captivating by Stasi and John Elderidge : Every woman should read this book.

I'm not done, but I'll stop.

Just a Few Non-fluffy Fictional Faves
1) Peace Like a River and So Brave, Young, and Handsome by Leif Enger: I have no idea if Enger is a Christian, but these beautiful books certainly suggest a Biblical worldview. Loved them.

2) The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo: Yes, I know these were written for 10 year olds. Who cares? Borrow someone's kids and read them these exquisite stories. Again, I don't know if DiCamillo is a believer, but these are almost allegorical to the Christian reader.

What's on your reading list? Share a favorite or two!

Here's to a cup of tea and good read,
Ginger

3 comments:

  1. Anything by Charles Swindoll!!

    Epicenter and Inside the Revolution by Joel Rosenberg

    Anything by Lee Strobel

    Trusting God's Heart by Frank Cox (changed my life)

    Tired of Trying to Measure Up by Jeff van VonDeren

    A Deficit of Decency by Zell Miller

    The Sacred Romance by John Eldredge and Brent Curtis

    I could go on and on, but I'll stop.

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good books! I'm a huge fan of Max Lucado anything. He honestly opened up my heart to an intimacy with Jesus and I've never been the same person since!

    Beth Moore studies - and I always do the homework. The videos are worth doing the study but the homework is what really makes The WORD come alive and active in my life. Just finished Stepping Up and won't to start another one.

    Bill Gothard has a couple of good, easy read books - The Power of Spoken Blessings and The Power of Crying Out. These are are lights in the darkness for sure.

    Old book I found at Goodwill - The Gift of Honor by Gary Smalley and John Trent.

    The Love Dare Book - Stephen and Alex Kendrick. Powerful. Every marriage could use a good dose of this book. We are a dysfunctional generation of C H R I S T I A N S. Yes. You heard that right.

    A Garden Path to Mentoring - Esther Burroughs. *Thrift Store 99 cent bargain that I need to start reading.

    Christmas Cookies - Oxmoor House cookbook packed with cookie recipes.

    Love From the HEART of the HOME - Susan Branch.
    Beautiful, hand-drawn book for setting a romantic stage in your home. Don't we all need to celebrate our spouses more???

    A Bride Most Begrudging - Deeanne Gist - Christian romance story. Loved It!

    The Convenient Groom - Denise Hunter - Christian romance story with a really good comparison at the end. Really good.

    And my Bible. Love The Message version when read alongside my KJV. Isaiah and Psalms are powerful for me right now.

    Classics - Anne of Green Gables - makes me want to adopt a red-headed orphan girl.

    Ok. Sorry I took over your blog post! I am definitely a bookworm and have the books to prove it.

    ReplyDelete