Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Light Has Come

I find myself with an unexpected blogging opportunity this afternoon; a meeting that threatened to absorb the whole evening has been postponed, so here I sit, tap-tapping away this grey and chilly Tuesday afternoon.

Using the Advent devotional from Good Morning Girls this morningI read John 1:9-12:
The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.
10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—

 My notes start out like this:
 
How, Lord, how did those You created miss you?  How did they not even recognize You when You're standing there right in front of them, being You in the flesh?  They could touch You, listen to You teach, watch Your hands at work. 

Then it dawned on me that maybe recognition wasn't the point.  What is recognition, anyhow?  A simple acknowledgement?  Familiarity?  Is it, after all, the same as truly knowing somebody?
His own didn't recognize Him, yet all who believed and received Him got relationship.
He sacrificed temporal acknowledgement and chose adoption instead.
Recognition was replaced by reconciliation.
 I wonder how many times I've settled for "recognizing" Jesus-- 
Oh, hi, Lord. Bless this activity, and how about handling that other situation?--instead of reverencing Him, worshiping Him as a beloved daughter.
Remember my "intentional" summer break?  Here we are, nearly six months later, and truth be told, I've been on automatic pilot  for a few months now.  I've got the routine, but the  relationship has been perfunctory at best.  This Advent season, I want something more than the same old-same old.  I don't want my relationship with Christ to just be about recognition.
I want to know my Redeemer.
I want to know the One Who gave me the right to call Him Abba, Daddy.
Be blessed today,
Ginger
 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Ginger ME TOO!!! I want to really know Him - honor Him, praise Him -- all like never before!

    And I wouldn't mind being in a bible study with you either! Love your heart for Him!

    xoTiffany

    ReplyDelete